What mother doesn’t miss this? The sleepy breastfeeding babe! So happy with the golden liquid that mother provides that he doesn’t even open his eyes.
This actually can become a frustrating moment for some mothers. When babe keeps falling asleep mid-feed and doesn’t complete a feed. This means that they will wake in half an hour with a strong hunger wanting more, only to fall asleep again soon after the latch.
How to remedy this?
When babe is a sleepy feeder and is not getting enough there are a few simple things to do to wake them.
1. Keep a damp cloth near by and wipe their eyes when they start to doze off.
2. Break the suction with your finger, this will often get baby to re-latch and start sucking again.
3. Undress baby- Keeping baby cool will often keep him awake for the feeding. It is hard to sleep when you are not warm and cozy.
4. Tickle and touch baby’s body.
5. Try a nice bath with baby.
If baby is still sleepy after you have tried all of the above, Leave him/her, Baby is probably very tired and needs his/her sleep.